segunda-feira, 16 de fevereiro de 2009

Black History Month

I have been living in the US of A for a year now. Feb. 9th marked the date. Hot Tomato's in Hartford witnessed the celebration. At a very international table where Portugal, Poland, the Philippines and the USA congregated; my good friend Steve asked me about my comments on the accomplishment. I answered with th pseudo-burgoise attitude I am perceived with everytime I compare cultures - especially when those are european and north american. The different ways in which we satisfy our (spiritual/philosophical) insatisfactions. Here the ownership of things, the achievement of professional or social goals is in itself rewarding/fullfiling. There that is also true, but brings a bagage of new interrogations on their real meaning, the actual process of becoming owner and no longer aspiring, dreaming, longing for the thing and the analysis of what in fact has changed (if it did) are the new tormented torments. Left yet to mention are the lost of the person, the one who now is and is to become and what of him was lost and therefore cannot be salvaged. Was it worth we question? Who is this new me supposed to feel contempt and satisfied and still frustrated, lost and questioning. But in better clothes. Wearing better shoes. Looking better. Opening the door to a more admirable home than yours (now you are the new aspirer). Only to close the (very fashionable) new door and find myself still tormented.



Deb Goffe danced Infinite Space summoning Cesaria, Manu, rain. She contaminated other bodies. Dancer's I mean. So interesting to see a culture you know from the inside being introduced to you from the inside out.



By the way February is Black History Month, Valentine's Month and Carnaval's Month (not very hip in this neighbourhood, unless I move to New Orleans). Today was President's day.

Honestly? I feel overwheamed. Wouldn't you?



"The Seamstress" by Frances de Pontes Peebles. This is a literary recommendation for Marco, only. If your name is not Marco don't bother. Unless you are unsatisfied with your own and are considering changing. And if so... May I ask?... In which side of the Ocean are you?

Sem comentários: