domingo, 25 de janeiro de 2009

Of Obama and butt warmers...


Allthough I did not write it I often thought it. I've been playing this post in my head for more than a week now. It started with another entry for my journey of understanding of the States' very particular culture.


It referred to this amazing need of excelling the comfort levels of this population. So, no longer happy with the fact that ALL buildings+public transportation+etc, etc... have central heating, any respectable car (at least the ones in which I am transported whenever I am blissed with a ride home, that is) is equiped with seat warmers. YES, you heard me! SEAT WARMERS. As you can antecipate by the thing's name, it makes sure that, whatever freezing winds have "attacked" you bottom, IT will prevail thanks to a heating system that, in a matter of minutes, restores your but to its ideal temperathure (a bit too hot for me as I call them burning butt warmers...lol). Trying to think this thing through I realized maybe this is a comodity common to chilli countries such as Russia, Polony, Germany and others and that the reason I had never been introduced to this kind of "technology" is that I am from 1st - a south European yearlong temperate (not so...) country and 2nd an african all yearlong summer country. So there it is. More research on this to follow.


Of course I could not but comment of the commotion around the presidential inauguration last Tuesday. I have to confess I wished I was there in Washington while watching Obama becoming the first black american president. However, everytime I saw the images of the freezing crowd and the enormous lines to get anywhere I was quite contempt to be sitting at the conference room with all my CREC colleagues watching a big screen in a heated, safe room. And if this sounds not very ambitious of me let me just add that I am not an american citizen in this ciuntry which means I do not have the same rights as others do... and I sometimes have to act accordingly and protect myself from risky situations (or at least that's what I'll be telling myself in years to come)...


AND almost two weeks ago, Detroit automakers (still in big trouble) took part in their annual international car showcase. Good surprise: some electrict wonders like the Chevy Volt. Check it out. ALSO italian automaker Fiat is starting an alliance with Chevrolet. The european company will share vehicle platforms, powertrains and components to be built in Chrysler’s U.S. manufacturing facilities in exchange for a 35-percent share in the American automaker...maybe I can have the stylish new Fiat 500 soon...

FINALLY, some reading suggestions:

Mark Bittman, Food Matters (stop eating meat... or at leat reduce it and help save the planet)

Robert Burns poetry, most important scottish poet 250th anniversary celebration (to read eating haggis)

Roberto Bolano, chilean writer (check 2666... I know I will)

Clarissa Dickson Wright, autobiography (the living half of the Two Fat Ladies).

My newest discovery: I finally found a place to listen to the news of the world.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you: BBCNews online!!!

1 comentário:

Fiji disse...

Ainda não tinha deixado aqui a minha marca. Mesmo que ainda não tenha comentado nada, fica a saber que venho cá com regularidade.
Vai-nos dando o teu ponto de vista luso-africano dessa tua aventura.

No entanto, deixa-me já fazer uma pequena crítica: what the...? mas que história é esta das sugestões dos livros? Ao 4º post e já estás a transformar isto n'As Escolhas de Marcelo?

;) keep writing
Marco